Mystic Writer

Peeking out to see if there is a real world out there...

Sunday, November 13, 2005

Gift of a moment

Starshine glints below and air rises up, swirling, enveloping me in the sense of her. Unbidden my hand pulls my cell phone from my pocket and I start to dial.

It has been a day of following impulse. I left work early and drove long following a need to hike the ravine. Bare branches sang in the breeze and I held every inspiration for a moment, then flung them on the winds to her. The path curled up and around, exploring sandstone hollows and outcrops and I followed it longer than I intended. When finally I sat in my car and mentally prepared to go home I found I wasn't ready and following a whim headed east to the Mississippi in darkening twilight.

Sixty miles on and feeling my way, a small road beckons and I turn to follow. At a dead end I get out, walk downhill, and realize I am far above the Mississippi. A fence bars my way and I follow it till I find a tree I can climb to cross over and drop on the other side. Not far ahead the world falls away and I approach cautiously. A shadow projects outward from the cliff and I move my head back and forth in the dark trying to get a sense of what I am seeing. I realize it is a finger of black rock, jutting out from the edge, only a couple of feet wide and maybe six feet long. I inch out and at the precipice slowly lower myself and start to notice where I am.

The sky is a vast bowl of black velvet, the frigid moonless night allowing the stars to shine out in diamond glory. The sky merges with the bluff on the far side of the river and small lights glisten, adding to the splendor. Below the water mirrors everything with perfect fidelity and I hang suspended, immersed in diamond and velvet.

The wind swirls up and I can feel her as I dial the last digit. Her voice mail answers "TB... TB..." the awe and wonder soften my voice and I trail off. I have no plan and the words tumble out. "The beauty here is incredible - stars below, stars above, river and sky. If you can connect with this, touch this beauty, if you can find a way, you really should - I know this moment... this gift of a moment, is for you too. You've been with me all day..." again I trail off, then hang up.

Without transition I drop into a deep state of simple awareness - no thought, only appreciation. Without remark the stars wheel in the sky and water.

A long, long while later I walk to my car and go home.

19 Comments:

  • At 7:47 PM, Blogger Maggie Lamarre said…

    Wow
    Michele sent me

     
  • At 8:25 PM, Blogger Canadian Mark said…

    I'm not quiet sure what you just said, but it would seem like you're on top of things. You've got a good thing going here, you should stick to it. Here from Michele's.

     
  • At 8:35 PM, Blogger Unknown said…

    Here via Michele.

    This is a wonderful story - is it fiction or non-fiction.

     
  • At 5:51 AM, Blogger Valerie said…

    Wow that was beautiful!
    Here from Michele's

     
  • At 6:07 AM, Blogger craziequeen said…

    Incredible.......

    here from Michele's

    cq

     
  • At 6:07 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    Lovely

    Michele sent me

     
  • At 6:40 AM, Blogger Aginoth said…

    Nicely written

    Michelle sent me

     
  • At 6:41 AM, Blogger mw said…

    Everything on this blog is pure (although subjective) fact with the singular exception of Suo Loco - ooh, I also pulled an April fools joke once.

    Thank you for all the kind feedback!

    mw

     
  • At 6:50 AM, Blogger CarpeDM said…

    Quite gorgeous.

    Michelle sent me.

     
  • At 6:51 AM, Blogger LeLo said…

    I feel like I was right there with you. Loverly.

    Michelle sent me!

     
  • At 9:02 AM, Blogger utenzi said…

    Michele sent me to witness your writing.

    Such an image. I can feel the images you created deep within me. Being out on that rock, in the dark of night, all alone...

     
  • At 9:45 AM, Blogger Ramona said…

    Here from Michele's.
    I like your style!

     
  • At 12:05 PM, Blogger The Dormitory Boys said…

    Beautiful! I wish more people would appreciate what's around them instead of being closed off.

    Hi, Michele sent us.

    Have a nice weekend, MW!

     
  • At 1:02 PM, Blogger ribbiticus said…

    you're quite the poet! have you considered making it a career?

    michele sent me your way today. :)

     
  • At 12:27 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    I know what you meant when you had the gift of the moment. I had one too the other night. It seems bright stars set against the black velvet sky has the power to transport us into a deeper level within ourselves to look at the world not with our human eyes but with the eyes of our soul.

     
  • At 8:42 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    I stopped by to check in on your blog and wish you a Happy New Year. May all your dreams come true in 2006!

     
  • At 10:57 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    Best wishes for the year 2006! Hope it is going to be a wonderful one.

     
  • At 4:09 PM, Blogger Nicky said…

    Wishing you a great 2006 MW! Love Nicky xx

     
  • At 11:56 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    Michele didn't send me but I found you on her blog roll. What a gift for prose you have! I could almost feel the setting. Thx for sharing.

     

Post a Comment

<< Home